Thursday, September 27, 2018

Serious about FMQ

I really want to master this whole free motion quilting thing so I dug out a quilt a friend started and gave to me to finish.  Her meander stitch was impeccable.  Mine, not so much, but I learned a lot.  I also tried a feather for the first time.



For starters, I remembered Angela saying to make sure your presser foot isn't down too far.  My convertible FMQ foot is adjustable, and apparently it was down too low.  I felt like I had to yank the fabric through.  Too bad I didn't remember that tip until AFTER I finished the quilt.  The stitching wasn't as smooth.

I also learned that choosing an almost invisible thread can be disadvantageous.  I used a light grey which melted into the paisley print.  I couldn't see where I had already stitched so I finally gave up and meandered all over.  Lots of texture though!

P.S. I bought Angela Walter's book Free Motion Quilting with Angela Walters, at her shop in Liberty, Missouri, and used it to help me figure out some of the circular loops and feathers.  I actually bought it for its ideas on quilting zigzags for my Around the World quilt.  Her books are mostly step-by-step pictorial guides in creating each type of motif and variations.


No comments:

Post a Comment