Friday, September 21, 2018

Rabbit Hash and long arm quilters

This summer, my son James and I went to see Rabbit Hash.  It was my first time there.  We saw the former mayor, Lucy Lou, a border collie who served as mayor from 2008 to 2016, when she went out for a walk.  She was 12.  She stepped down in 2016 to help her hometown raise funds to rebuild the Rabbit Hash Genral Store.  (The election raises money.)  According to the Boone Recorder, she raised $8,087 of the total $21,921 raised during her election.

The newspaper stated, "The question Mayor Lucy Lou was most asked during the campaign was:  'How does a DOG become mayor?'

"Her answer, . . . was, 'As with politics in every corner of the earth, the candidate with the most money wins.  In Rabbit Hash, we're just honest about it.  Anyone of any age can vote, you can vote as many times as you like, and we encourage drinking at the polls.'

"Lucy Lou's executive staff have been heard to say on more than one occasion, 'We bought that election fair and square!'"

While I don't have a picture of Lucy Lou or of the current mayor, I did snap a picture from the doorway into the General Store.


It occurred to me that old-time general stores aren't much different than fabric stores such as this one called Quilting Is My Therapy, home to Angela Walters of Midnight Quilt Show fame.  I visited here on my way home from taking my daughter to college.


While at Angela Walter's store, I met the Simply Sixteen longarm machine that has a 4' x 5' footprint.  I got excited about that because that could fit inside a tiny house!  (We are thinking about that possibility for our next home.)


Possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment