Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Do you have dishes you rarely use?

When I got married, I had a new set of white stoneware dishes.  I think it's a complete 12-place setting suite of beautiful best ware.  My mother always emphasized that it was important for children to learn to handle beautiful things carefully. 

I would note that she had two daughters.

Her message is important though--even with sons.  It just requires a few more precautions like a sturdy cabinet door protecting said dishes! 

I had some porcelain figurines, a few of which have survived children and 4 moves.  Most of which are out for display except when we lived in apartments.  Things were too tight then.

Back to the dishes:

You'll notice two types of dishes in the dishwasher this morning.  Stoneware and Corelle ware.

Up to now, the Corelle ware had far more use.  I have dishes from two other sets as well.  Those include a few of my mother-in-law's Stengel ware and some special occasion (Thanksgiving) plates.

The question is whether to keep them or downsize. 

Every time we use my china (even though they are technically stoneware, they're really nice and what I chose for my special china), I laugh because my sons set the table with the china, silverware, and (drumroll please) plastic water glasses.  And I groan and ask them to replace it with glass.  I don't think they even know we have crystal!  Sorry, Mother.  I really tried.  The crystal used to be far more accessible but they still didn't think about it then either.

Recently I moved my white "china" to the cupboard where I used to keep the Corelle ware, and constantly remind my sons that it absolutely cannot go into the microwave!  It shatters.  The shatter lines are actually gorgeous as one plate learned, but I don't know if it would completely break with two microwave uses.  But it's being used rather than languishing in a cupboard, and I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment