Sunday, May 3, 2020

Creativity is multi-faceted

Once again, I've been so much better at posting on Instagram but I resolve to do better!  In fact, I'm resolving to study better and write more in the coming months mostly because I think we all have a need to pay much more attention to the blessings of God during this time of the COVID19 pandemic.  Personally, I think this is only a beginning of more challenges but I believe there are many, many blessings to reap during challenges.  I've also known it is important to pay attention to blessings and to learn when things are good, but the hard times define us by what we decide to focus on.

As a result, I am tweaking this blog a bit to help me and hopefully you find the good and great things in our lives.

Another reason for my change is because I've found the strain on my wrists and thumbs has been too great for me to continue quilting.  After thinking through my options, I decided to pivot to sewing and joyful creation.

So I took up bagmaking to use up some of my fabric stash!

Most recently I made a carry-on bag for my daughter to use when she flies home. Since it was a small project, I did very simple stitching and quilting to make the sides and bottom a bit more firm.


I exploited the capabilities of my sewing machine by stitching my daughter's name, the mission where she is serving, and uplifting thoughts onto the sides of the bag.  The striped fabric is a pocket, and there is a matching pocket on the inside of the bag.  I didn't put a crossbody handle on, and chose to add matching handbag-style straps.

The front:

Third verse of The Lord Is My Light:

Other uplifting messages:





I am truly grateful for my ability to create.  There are so many ways to create however, and not all of them have anything to do with textiles.  Tapping into that creative side is a great way to calm the anxiety and depressive demon that can bedevil all of us.  My husband shoots aerial photography and organizes projects at work as well as coaches others to improve their abilities.  My son writes.  

Please share in the comments what you do.

I look forward to hearing from you!

LeeAnn



No comments:

Post a Comment