Saturday, May 6, 2017

Hospital and stress relieving sewing

So much has happened but I've not blogged about any of it.  

First, the major event taking my time had nothing to do with quilting but everything to do with family.  My husband had a bad case of cellulitis, or beta hemolytic streptococcus group A infection in his right calf.  They put him in the hospital for 2 weeks until they began seeing serious progress.  He is still battling the infection but he is home now.  He is also trying to build up his strength.  Two weeks in bed has serious implications for muscle tone!  

This is what it looked like when he was able to come home:

It looks more red now because he has been up and around on it, but hopefully it will continue to progress.

On the quilting front, I received my very first Sew Sampler box from the Fat Quarter Shop a couple of weeks ago.  Here's the tin with appropriate wisdom for the week!

And the contents:

I'm quite excited to make the mini quilt with the 2.5" squares and pattern that came with it and to start the BOM for the next year.  I think I'll make the medium sized quilt since I already have a 12 1/2" square ruler that I can use in squaring up the blocks!   Underneath all of that, you can see my new Easter/spring tablecloth.  I've long eyed that fabric in my stash and been hesitant to cut it up so I turned it into a pretty table.

Another quick project while my husband was in the hospital was a baby blanket for my niece.  It was a nice stress reliever even if I STILL haven't gotten it in the mail!  A few years ago, I went through a serious fox fixation, buying a bunch of fabric, a fox cookie jar (a gift from my daughter), and fox salt and pepper shakers.  I love the colors of this fabric, but alas, it's all gone now.

One reason I haven't been sewing much (beyond the obvious reason being that I've been at the hospital with Jim), is that my walking foot went kaput.  Apparently I use it a ton!  The baby blanket was harder to stitch because I made do with the regular foot which doesn't have anything to make sure that both the top and bottom layers feed evenly.  I finally bit the bullet and ordered a new one this week.  I'll be making another (albeit different) baby blanket for the Young Women at my church to auction off next Saturday.  It's all cut out, squared up, and pinned, but not sewn or topstitched.  Hopefully the walking foot will arrive in time to sew it before Saturday or I'll be carefully sewing it together.  I love the cute little owls!!!

I think it's safe to say that the only sewing I've actually tackled in the last three weeks has been strictly stress relieving.  I've been really quite frightened for my husband's prospects so it was good to have an activity that helps me receive to the peace that has been coming to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment